Thursday, November 13, 2008

Not only is David Hundley an incredibly witty and talented designer (and individual) on his own time, but he is also an amazing Installation Designer on the side. David took on the incredibly overwhelming and difficult task of curating William Randolph Hearst's immensely huge collection into one show, now up at LACMA. "Hearst the Collector" houses only a few of the thousands of pieces of art that Hearst collected over the years and filled his 250,000 acre "Hearst Castle". I did not have the pleasure of attending the premiere, although two of my co-workers did and said that it was absolutely phenomenal. David enlivened the space and objects by displaying them in a fresh view. I particularly loved hearing about the placement of an extra-gaudy Tiffany lamp on a lucite pedestal in one gallery. David celebrated the good, the bad, and the ugly of Hearst's collection and I think that's just fantastic. If you get a chance to see the exhibition go! Read an interview with David Hundley here.

No comments: