Alright I really didn't want to write about Damien Hirst because who isn't sick of hearing about him!? I'm not a fan of his celebrity-art for various reasons, but I just had to mention his latest egotastic moment. A 16 year old decided to use Damien Hirst's skull in his stencil/collage art which he sells online. The teenager made £200 on his drawings and now Damien Hirst is demanding to get paid. The guy is one of the richest, most over-paid artists in the entire world with billions under his belt but he demands his £200 ! Also, I think the skull is such BS anyway- it has been used in art since we decided to sketch on cave walls with ashes- he doesn't own that! (another issue entirely, I know…)
Anyway, I would love to hear what everyone else thinks of this. I don't really want to get into discussing Damien Hirst's work anymore because I hate to shine anymore light on something so utterly overpublicized and unimportant to the art world I love and know, but does anyone else feel like he is out of control?
Here is more on the whole ordeal

No comments:
Post a Comment